What is the filing schedule for 2020?
Despite the government shutdown, the Internal Revenue Service confirmed that it will process tax returns beginning January 28, 2020 and provide refunds to taxpayers as scheduled.
Martin Rosales Bookkeeping & Tax Services will be accepting and preparing tax returns before Jan. 28 and then will submit the returns when the IRS systems open later this month.
The IRS strongly encourages people to file their tax returns electronically to minimize errors and for faster refunds. The filing deadline to submit 2019 tax returns is Monday, April 15, 2020 for most taxpayers.
I received a call from the IRS threatening to arrest me.
Taxpayers who get an unexpected or unsolicited phone call from the IRS should be wary – it’s probably a scam.
Phone calls continue to be one of the most common ways that thieves try to get taxpayers to provide personal information. These scammers then use that information to gain access to the victim’s bank or other account.
The real IRS will not:
- Call to demand immediate payment
- Call someone if they owe taxes without first sending a bill in the mail
- Demand tax payment and not allow the taxpayer to question or appeal the amount owed
- Require that someone pay their taxes a certain way, such as with a prepaid debit card
- Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone
- Threaten to bring in local police or other agencies to arrest a taxpayer who doesn’t pay
- Threaten a lawsuit
Where is my refund?
When you prepare your tax return with us, we are always available to help you get the latest information to locate your refund. You can also use the IRS website to assist in your search. https://www.irs.gov/refunds